Tuesday, November 3, 2009

RAH, RAH, Meat.

One week down and several more to go, I'm amazed at how many variables affect the rhythm of this time apart. It's no secret to me that I've been supernaturally well over these last few days, emotions little more that latent, rising and settling, and it's almost as if I'm watching from the outside. Truly a gift from God.

The first week was filled with busyness, activity, and creating. Lots of space to create. I remembered to sleep and eat and those other basic things that tend to fall to the waste side when you don't have someone else to do them with... at least that's been my experience. By last Friday I was feeling a bit exhausted. After a conversation with my housemate, we began to wonder if meat was the variable to blame. Yes, meat. It had been about a week since I had eaten any... I hestitate to write this because I know that a phone call from my dad, one that I don't want (PS), is liable to take place. But it is a risk that I'm willing to take to raise a banner to meat and remind the public not to under estimate its power.

All weekend I had plans to cook some chicken, but for one reason or another those plans turned into yet another plate of scrambled eggs and goat cheese/red pepper quesadillas. By Sunday I was ready for my husband to come home and my housemate to move out. Jokes over. Been great times, now let's get back to life as usual... the home that I know, the familiar. We blame emotions, hormones, and the devil on many things that they are responsible for - but what about food? It plays a role. It was time and my housemate came home from her walk with a deli bag of honey cured ham. Now, I never eat ham these days... but I have to say that I nearly devoured the bag. The sun came out. The laundry got done. And my housemate was permitted to stay. Darling, take your time sailing around the world. We've got meat, here to bring our iron levels back up; to put a spring in our step.

Now, of course I'm joking and meat can't save your soul or keep you warm at night or make your eyes disappear with maniacal laughter and if you think it can I'd like to know which beast you've been eating. But, as emotionally driven a person as I am and have been my whole life, it is refreshing to consider the role of nutrition in all of the doldrums of life.

Rah, rah, meat.

1 comment:

Sarah Aubrey said...

IT'S SO TRUE. I feel superhuman after eating meat. Andrew bought me this t-shirt for our first Christmas dating: http://typetees.threadless.com/product/490/Meat_is_murder_Tasty_tasty_murder

I wear it with pride.